Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Kindness and Truth

This week I've been spending a lot of time in the wisdom filled book of Proverbs.  There is so much meat in these passages a half page (or approximately 1 chapter) is about all my mind can digest in one sitting.  I practice Lectio Divinia ( Latin for Sacred Reading) as I'm journaling in my bible.  I read through a passage once, then sit with it in my mind for a while.  I read through it a second time and begin to pick up phrases or words that jump out at me.  Then I read it a third time and really open my heart up to the words or phrases that keep knocking on the door to my heart.

Proverbs 3 brought me these words to ponder.  "Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart." 

As I meditated on these words, I tried to imagine how that might look in an illustration.  This picture is what I came up with.  How might my life be different if I became so saturated in truth and kindness that it literally draped around me and and solidified in my heart?

Some think these silly illustrations don't mean much, but for me they assist my mind in digesting the words.  I roll the words and visual around in my mind all day long.  These particular words have spoken to me over and over again since Sunday.  Apparently I needed these biblical truths.

I am working to illustrate this particular New American Standard Bible with a picture for each page.  I've addressed it to my future grandchildren on the opening pages.  I want them to see what Grandmommy thought about God's word.

When Angie died I began to ponder what was important.  What had she left behind?  What do I want my family and friends to remember about me?  What gifts can I leave for them, if I should leave this earth earlier than I expect.  I thought Angie and I would grow old together as old friends.  But she left this earth at the age of 47.  I could live to be a ripe old age, or I could go in the next few minutes.  I've spent the past 3 years since her death, trying to decide what I want to do with my life and I don't mean a career.  What messages do I want left behind in the wake of my time on this earth?

Here are some things I've decided I want to leave behind to the grandchildren I already love, but who have yet to be conceived.  I don't know if I will ever meet them, but if I don't, these are things I want them to know about me that will make a difference in their life.

1.  Reading God's word is the most worthwhile activity you can participate in during your day. I didn't accept this truth until later in life.  I wish I had practiced "getting in the word" on a more serious level earlier in my life. 

2.  I want them to have this illustrated bible to show them studying God's word can be fun, creative and absorbing.  I want them to see that all of their senses can be awakened by God's word.  If the Lord allows me to be a living grandparent, I want to teach them to ponder God's word early in their lives.  They will each be given their own bible to use and enjoy illustrating. 

3.  One of my gifts is my singing voice.  Singing praises to God is my most favorite worship activity.  I have been told that my Grandmother Myrtle loved to sing.  My mother says that she wasn't really very gifted with a voice, but she loved to sing anyway.  I would love to have the ability to listen to her sing.  With that in mind, I'm working on a list of songs I want to record for my grandbabies, should I not be here to sing to them.  I want them to know praising God is an important part of your day.

4. I want them to learn to be still, quiet and listen.  I'm working on ways to leave these big lessons behind.  I'll post more of those later.

5.  I want them to use the filter of love to see everything in life.  When faced with difficult circumstances or situations, looking at it through love generally makes things pretty clear.  Jesus said the most important things are to love God and love others.  You can't go wrong with that simple, holy formula.

6. Based on my ponderings from Proverbs 3, I also want them to know that kindness and truth are important to being the person God wants us to be.  If we wrap kindness and truth around us and etch it on our hearts, then view the world and people through a lens of love, all things become holy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment