Saturday, February 15, 2014

The clock is ticking......

I'm literally counting down the days until we hit Celtic soil again.  As with every trip, I always think, "I've never been more ready to get out of here!"   I've been wanting to get away to Ireland and/or Scotland since Angie went to rest in Jesus.  Thanks to my husband, his Marriott points, my friend Tracy and her ability to plan a trip to Iona with grace...we will be going soon. 

We will be there for quite a while.  Almost 3 weeks (Swoon) of my life will be spent in Scotland this year.  We had originally planned a stop over in Ireland, but after the idea for my book took a hold of my heart and brain, it was apparent that we needed to devote to the time in  Scotland.  So  Scotland it is. 

John and I both feel a huge tug for the Celtic lands.  Last night we ran by the grocery to pick up a few things before our movie date and I grabbed some Kerrygold Irish butter.  When I did, he said, "You know I seriously want to live there.  I'm not kidding.  Seriously."  I just laugh.  We both have the dream of one day spending at least part of our retirement years on  Celtic soil.  If it weren't for family, I'd  zip out of here today and never look back.  But, our wee ones and parents make a permanent move difficult. 

Edinburgh Castle
Our plan on this trip is to fly into Edinburgh and spend several days there and going just a bit south in the lowlands to my family's ancestral castle "Dalhousie".  There is also an abbey nearby the castle that has links to Iona.  Coincidence?  No, I think not.  After Edinburgh and surrounding areas, we will meet Tracy and friends in Glasgow as we begin the journey to Iona, island of my heart and soul. 

A week will be spent on the wee island of Iona.  I am particularly drawn to the nunnery, so I plan to take advantage of every waking moment being inspired by the place of my dream, day dreams and writing inspiration.  If my travel companions cannot find me, they will know where to look. 

We will be staying again at the Argyll in the wee, and I do mean wee, village of Bali Moor.  The village consists of two wee hotels, a small general store, a pub (always a pub), a lovely place to eat, a house or two and.....well that's it.  No tellies, no radio, very few cars, quiet...blissful quiet.  The ancient abbey, a few churches, the ancient graveyard, the walk of the dead, Dun-I (the highest point on the island), the north shore, Martyr's Bay......I find myself relaxing even as I type these words. 

After departing Iona, we will say goodbye to our dear friends and continue on to the Highlands.  We will be staying in the Aviemore and  Inverness area.  We will see Loch Ness, Culloden and Ft. William.  John has many places he wants to poke around in.  And then....in much too short of a time, we will have to head back across the Atlantic to the states. 

The world is different for me in Scotland and Ireland.  I feel connected.  More and more here in this life, I feel less and less connected to places and people. I almost feel like the tether that hold me to this earth is letting go.  But there....it is different.  I feel so incredibly close to my ancestors, my God, the Spirit and Jesus.  The land awakens something deep in my soul.  I feel so at peace.  The land soothes my soul and makes me listen with more intention. 

My soul is wounded these days, but healing.  My dearest friend died and it's left a gaping wound.  But God has been faithful to continuously apply His Holy ointment of hope, joy and love on my wounds.  I praise Him for the trip.  I'll even praise Him if for some reason we end up not being able to go, but my prayer is deep that He will allow for this trip to come through as planned....unless of course the trumpet blows and we are all taken up in the air to see our sweet Jesus.  Sigh.

What is it I seek on this trip?  Many things actually.  I seek inspiration for continuing to write my book.  I seek God's voice in the Celtic breezes. I seek His touch in the whisper of seas.  I seek a connection with my past with hopes for it helping me in the future.  I seek renewing my beloved friendships with Tracy, Sara and Ruth.  I want to pray with them again.  I want to stand in Matthew's chapel behind the abbey on Iona and quietly sing praises to God again with them. I want to silently listen to the whisper of time's past in St. Oran's chapel and the nunnery.  O how I long for the nunnery.  THAT fact is so difficult to explain. 

My heart is happiest when there are trips planned in my life.  A friend told me once that I'm a "wandering old soul."  I take that as a compliment of the highest order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment