Monday, July 20, 2015

Do it. Go.

Today is Monday.  I have the rest of today, all of Tuesday and every moment I can squeeze out of Wednesday to complete preparations for the "She Speaks" conference and publisher meetings. 

We leave on Thursday for Concord, NC.  It is just a hop skip and jump from Charlotte.  We lived in Charlotte for a time and absolutely loved it.  Going back to the area is bitter sweet considering that everyone we were close to during our time there has moved on, just as we did.  Such is life.


My "To Do" list for this week:
1.  Make final corrections to manuscript
2.  Print manuscript copies
3.  Burn manuscript to CDs
4.  Complete one sheet/pitch sheet
5.  Print copies of one sheet
6.  Pack
7.  Prepare my lads to be left behind while Momma hits the road to attempt publication

My novel was almost complete, then I decided it should be, at least, a two book series, maybe even a trilogy.

My heart is full.  My brain is empty.  My eyes are strained.  My hopes are high.

I find myself quite emotional remembering the last time I attended this event.  Angie was my traveling companion.  We had no idea that six short years later, her death would be the inspiration behind my first attempt at a novel.  In the wake of tragedy, God works in mysterious, sometimes painful ways.

I attended this same conference to pitch a cookbook in 2009.  I was two years into my Dyautonomia diagnosis.  My body was still quite unsettled, so I needed someone to go with me.  My beloved Angie volunteered as my sidekick/traveling partner. We were quite experienced at being one another's sidekick/traveling partner.  

We drove to Concord, just the two of us.  We never turned on the radio or CD player.  As I drove, we talked for 9 hours going and 9 hours coming home.  My hotel room only had one bed in it.  We didn't care.  We had shared a bed a million times in our thirty-five year friendship. Each morning of the conference, she helped me put my outfits together and select the right jewelry.

While I was in conference and meetings, Angie proceeded to purchase almost everything available for sale in the Concord area.  When it was time to come home, we barely had room in my car for our two bodies and our luggage.  My Angie was a serious shopper and had packed the trunk and backseat with her enormous haul. 

Each night of the trip, we would lay in bed together and share our day. She gave me a play by play description of her shopping extravaganza.  I told her about speakers I had listen to that day and meetings I had attended. 

The trip was best friend bliss.  What I did not realize was how precious the memories of the trip would become.

After my failure to get the cookbook project published, I thought my writing days were behind me.  But God had other plans.  He dropped a novel in my lap and said, "Do it. Go."  So I'm doing it and I'm going. 

Many have asked, "So will it be published?"  The answer is yes.  I am trying to publish through traditional avenues.  But if I have no success with those avenues, then I will seek an agent or self-publish.  There are many options for writers in today publishing landscape.  I'm just waiting to see what God has in mind.

My hunny, John will be my official traveling companion this time. Still, Angie will be with me, alive in my heart and cheering me on. 

I still miss you, Dude. I'll see you soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment