Thursday, July 16, 2015

Things you will find in Kelley's 1st novel

Dalhousie Castle, ancestral home of the Ramsay Clan located in Bonnyrigg, Scotland
1.  Scotland.  Book one finds my characters at Dahousie Castle in Bonnyrigg, just outside of Edinburgh.  The modern day characters visit Rosslyn Chapel (from the Da Vinci Code) and Rosslyn Castle.  They also make a jaunt a bit north to visit Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle.  Aidan, my main male character in the 16th century,  lives at Borthwick Castle. 

Urquart Castle

2.  Sadness.  This book was born from my own grief.  Thankfully my pain from losing Angie has not been wasted.  God has used it to birth this book.  I pray it brings Him honor and glory.


3.  Recovery.  Grief is a valley to walk through, not pitch your tent.  In the book we see that it is a valley that one absolutely must walk through,  not around.  Avoiding grief festers the wound.
Kelley and Angie

4.  A Queen.  If you know me, you likely know of my love for Mary, Queen of Scots.  She is a very important character in my book.  Writing about her has been an absolute joy.


5.  Handsome men.  I adore men, especially my own three.  In the book, there are handsome men fighting with swords riding horses....and also falling in love with beautiful women.


6.  A sweet baby.  This child is named after a lady buried on the lovely island of Iona, Scotland.  No more details on that.
Iona, Scotland

7.  History.  Many of the characters, locations and battles are historical.  I have woven my own spin on history throughout the factual parts.


8. Deep spirituality.  My characters are bonded through grief, but also in their abiding love of prayer and Christian unity.

9. Lovely women.  My 16th century women are all a reflection of the charismatic Ramsey women that I love so dearly.  George and Elizabeth Ramsay's historical family did include six girls and one son.  I just happened to give the girls names that are based on my own Ramsey family and a few nuns from the monastery where I am an oblate.  BTW, female children are rarely listed with names in historical records.  That irritates me.


10. Time travel.  Modern day Sara has quite an adventure with my 16th century Anastasia.


11.  Dysautonomia.  My character Brigid has Dysautonomia.  I pray my book sheds some light on this often overlooked and under diagnosed rare disease.


12.  Sarcasm and humor.  The book is written by me......duh.


13.  Love.  Lacking love, how good could a novel be?  

14.  Ghosts.  Oooooooooo!


One week from today, I will be leaving for a writer's conference in Concord, NC.  I will meet with publishers concerning my book.  I am thrilled and terrified.  Any prayers you might offer up on my behalf would be most appreciated.

We are leaving our grown boys behind to take care of things.  After the conference my beloved Hunny and I will seek adventures in the Asheville, NC area.

I would be remiss if I did not thank those of you who have been sounding boards and early reviewers of my work.  Many thanks are owed to Terri, Tracy, Debbie, Jane, Cathy, Kerri and Sara.  You are my most trusted critics and loved beyond measure 

And if I live to be a hundred, I will never be able to thank Darian for all her help with editing and proof reading.  You are a friend who's value is far above diamonds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment