Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Expanding Soul Theory

When the sisters at Sacred Heart began teaching me the discipline of silence, I came to realize the process was simple, but the discipline was AWFUL! 

After months and moths of practice, I received an unexpected blessing from my discipline. Breathing in the silence allowed me to breath out my soul's noise.

Until that release, I had not realized how restricted my soul had become. Accustomed to the roar of my internal thoughts, I filtered everything else out. I heard, but did not hear.

Psalms 46:10 is a transformation scripture!  "Be still and know that I am God." has always been a favorite of mine, even before exploring what it actually meant.  Just reading the verse always brings a sense of calm to my mind.  
 
 "Be still" is pretty straight forward, but my soul had no clue what "and know" meant.
God never asks us to do something that will not benefit us.  He is a loving, caring God, therefore all His commands bring blessings to us. 

I call this post the "Expanding Soul Theory" because of what the silence has done for me. With the guidance of my Sisters, I looked at the call to be still as a pathway toward the blessings of knowing Him more fully.  With each deliberate attempt at silence, a blessing bubbles to the top of the silence.  With each new blessing, my soul's capacity to love, forgive, and extend grace expands!  God be praised! 

In the past, I have often found myself unable to forgive sins against me.  God will only extend me the amount of mercy that I extend to others, but this knowledge did not seem to get me where I needed to be.  I tend to be a difficult student. 

After months and months of intentionally being silent before the Lord, one day I realized I no longer held a grudge that I once held.  The internal noise of resentment gave way to the blessings of love, mercy, and forgiveness.  It was a miraculous revelation due to the amount of resentment I held.

I had not learned some new forgiveness trick.  No!  I became obedient to the call of being still and willingly allowed the silence to begin transforming me. 

Understand that He is not just asking you to be still for the sake of non-movement.  He is calling you to be still so that you can begin an internal release, allowing you to know Him more fully.  Breathing in silence ultimately grows you into a more Christ-like child of the King!  Your soul expands! 

Try going on a silent journey today.  Take just 5 minutes to be completely silent before the Lord.  Still your body and relax your mind, leaning in toward Him.  How?  Try this. 

Give God your intention to be still and silent by praying, "Lord I give you this 5 minutes to discipline my mind for silence." 

For 5 short minutes be still and silent.   Thoughts will come to you.  In the beginning of this journey, your mind may even fight this discipline.  Satan will say things to you such as, "You can't do this!  This is crazy!"  Our minds are noisy places and noisy places breed unGodly thoughts. 

Today, as a thought comes, acknowledge the thought and then let the thought pass through your mind, like the summer wind through an open window screen. 

Just breathe in the silence.  Let thoughts pass through your spiritual window screen.  Breathe. Relax. Repeat for at least five minutes. 

Again, the process is simple, but that does not make it easy.  Being still and quiet before the Lord is difficult, but the rewards are many. 

Give God 5 minutes a day for the rest of this week.  Don't give up, even though it is hard.   You will be rewarded. 



No comments:

Post a Comment