Wednesday, September 9, 2015

It was a normal Tuesday and then it wasn't.

On Tuesdays I met with a group of friends-Susy, Leanna, Debra- for coffee, talk and prayer. After getting the kids to school,  I had taken a shower and was drying my hair, getting ready for my normal Tuesday routine.  The morning news was on in the living room and I could see it in the reflection of the bathroom mirror.  Something was on fire -odd I thought-but I didn't stop drying my hair.  The hum of the hair dryer drowned out the crew of "Good Morning America" giving updates on the fire.

Fourteen years ago, in September of 2001, John was a frequent traveler with this job on the commercial side of network engineering.  But on this Tuesday morning, he was at home.  He had gone over to visit my in-laws.  Finishing up my hair, I turned off the hair dryer and began putting on my makeup.

"If you are just joining us, a plane has hit the World Trade Center and the building is in flames."

A plane hit the towers?  That is crazy.  I put the makeup down and went to the living room and sat down to see what was going on.  John walked in the back door at about the same time.

"Isn't that crazy," he said.  We sat in stunned silence. 

No more than a few seconds could have passed....then another plane hit the towers, right there in front of our eyes.

I felt an icy chill shiver its way across my shoulders, up into my hair, and down my back.  Dear God....

Peter Jennings came on air.

The world as we knew it came to an end that day.  Our innocence died.  My children would never know a world without terrorism within our own borders.  My oldest child was in the 3rd grade and my youngest in Kindergarten. 

I sat on the ottoman in my living room with freshly washed hair, tears streaming down my makeup-free face   watching my country under attack.

I called my friends to let them know I wouldn't be meeting with them.  

From that point I only remember flashes of news reports, speculation, people jumping to their death from the towers, terror on the faces of people on the streets.  Dear God, have mercy on us.

It was only a short time later that we heard a plane hit the Pentagon and then a plane was down in Pennsylvania.  It seemed the daytime nightmare would never end.

The clear blue skies of fall were marred by smoke, flames and death. 

As the anniversary of 9/11 approaches, I pray for this country.  I pray for those who hate us.

I just pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment