Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Courts of Praise

I have always been a proud mom in the bleachers.  My boys are the star athletes as far as I'm concerned.  I've never missed a game unless the boys were playing at the same time and we had to split.  That only happened once if I'm remembering right.  My motto has always been "If one of my boys is on a field or court, then this mom has her bootay on a bleacher."  

Tonight my wee boy is having a different kind of night on the court.  He has been working for months organizing "Courts of Praise-Hope for the World".  As president of the local FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) he and the group have organized a night of worship in the gym at Clements High School.  He will be speaking along with our friend Bekah Evans

Side track alert:  No, this Bekah is not his girlfriend.  HIS girlfriend is Bekah Bridges from Ardmore.  This Bekah is the niece to one of my besties from high school and the daughter to that friend's little brother.  He married a girl I love from way back in high school, so our families are all linked together.  Here is another funny.  Bekah EVANS is also dating our sweet Cole (one of my other sons, Angie's youngest).  So Adam and Cole are both dating Bekah's.  Same spelling and everything.  Yes, it gets confusing.  "Is Bekah coming?  No, oh wait, which Bekah are you talking about?"  I call them the Bekahs squared.  Get it?  haha.  Cole is much shorter than Adam.  BUT, Cole is dating the really tall Bekah and Adam is dating the wee Bekah. Craziness abounds.  

Back to the event tonight:  Cody Gross from the University of North Alabama will be there as the keynote speaker.  There will be a praise band.  The whole community has been invited to share in the event.  Here is a quote from Adam "I believe this has the potential to change our community."  

Please come if you can.  God will be glorified and lives could be changed....maybe even yours.  

So tonight, my wee boy will be on the court.  That means his mom will be on a bleacher.  And this will be the proudest moment as a bleacher mom I have ever had.   
 
Side track alert:  Yesterday John and I met for lunch and also to let him test drive some recliners.  His is 13 years old, worn to a frazzle and awful looking. It took a long time for him to admit the recliner needed to go on to recliner heaven.  

So yesterday he sat in most every recliner in Huntsville area.  We finally found one he likes and it will be coming to our living room on Thursday.  Prrraise BE!    

So when we went to lunch, John chose "Jason's Deli".  It was one of the places Angie and I stopped during our adventures.  When I told John that  he said "We can go somewhere else if that will be too hard."  I told him no. I can't avoid her. She's everywhere all day long.  So we went.

Bad decision.  I cried a lot.  Someone was sitting in OUR booth.  I saw a lady eating a big cheese and broccoli baked potato (Angie's lunch of choice).  And then there was the real kicker.....the free ice cream.  That was why we went there, truth be told.  

I went over and got a chocolate cone, in honor of all the lunches we had there.  I cried while I ate the chocolate cone, but my heart was full of memories.  Gracious, I'll be glad when this gets better and isn't so absolutely raw.  

While shopping yesterday, I found two little garden stones.  One that said "Friends" on it and one that said "I miss you."  I bought them both.  

On the way home from Cole's ballgame last night, I stopped at the graveside and put those two little stones on her grave.  I still can't believe it's "her" grave.  It seems like foreign land to me there.  I really have very few memories of even being there on the day of the burial.  Just kind of snapshot memories.  

I bought some blank greeting cards yesterday. When I went to put the cards in my big card organizing box, I opened the lid and there sat the handkerchief that my Daddy  handed me at the graveside.  

Apparently I was quietly crying buckets at the graveside and my sweet Daddy saved the day by handing me his handkerchief.  That little piece of fabric is a prized possession now because it represents a Daddy's love and the love of a cherish friend. I do vividly remember my Daddy holding me tight at the graveyard like I was a little girl again.  Sigh....this loss of Angie is all so awful.   So deeply sad. 

I'll miss my friend tonight on the bleachers.          


No comments:

Post a Comment