Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Why I love North Carolina....

This Alabama girl had never been to North Carolina until I was 19 years old.  I had never had a reason to go.  I'd been many other places.  As a little girl my parents took me to Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Virginia and Canada.  But never North Carolina.  

I went there the first time with John's family before we got married.  His dad grew up on the southern coast of North Carolina, Brunswick Co. to be exact.  That is right where the Cape Fear River meets the Atlantic Ocean.  It's different from most beaches I had ever visited.  It's very low key, with no big hotels and fancy resorts.  Just lots and lots of homes on the beach and inland waterways.  No chain restaurants either.  Just lovely hometown dives with the best seafood I had ever eaten.  (This was before I became allergic to seafood)

North Carolina wasn't a vacation spot to Mr. Smith.  It was home.  I met lots of his family there, siblings, nieces, nephews, extended family....LOADS of extended family. Big family cookouts with loads and loads of food.  I remember the first big cookout I attended was a little place called Varnum Town.  Makes me smile to think of it. 

Mr. Smith had the sea in his blood and so he loved to fish, clam and whatever else he could do that involved the ocean.  He blossomed into a different person when he was home.  His coastal NC accent got thicker.  He relaxed.  He laughed more there.  He loved showing why he loved the coast of NC.  

He taught me to use a clam rake.  I love going clamming.  Mostly because he taught me how to do that.  You scrape that strange little rake across the wet mucky sand until you hear a very distinct "scrrratttchhhh".  Jack Pot!  You've got yourself a clam! But watch out, the mucky sand will suck the shoes right off your feet, if you aren't careful. 

My boys adore going there.  The picture at the top is of them on the pier at the Smiths summer place on Sunset Harbor on the inland waterway just off the Atlantic waterfront.  Adam was 2 and John David 6.  I love that picture. Adam standing there with his little diaper on and John David's little feet dangling off the chair.  Both with their fishing rods ready for a morning catch.  Adam still had on his pajama top.  John David would honestly sit out there and fish for hours and hours.  And he is pretty darned good at it.  Adam just liked to walk around with the pole, which is why he never had a hook on his line. 

When we lived in Charlotte when they were little, we would take advantage of the short 3 hour drive to the beach to see Grandmother and Granddaddy when they were there.  This picture was taken during one of our weekend runs to the beach.  Precious memories.

One day while we were there when the boys were little, Adam actually jumped off the pier and got caught in the crab pot line.  Thankfully his super hero Daddy was there to save the day.  Thankfully his mother wasn't there to see the event or I would have died from a heart attack.  

We were blessed to call North Carolina home for a brief time in the late 90s.  We lived in Charlotte, North Carolina and that made my love for the great state even more dear.  

Then later as a result of ancestry digging, I discovered my family has strong ties to North Carolina as well.  Just a few hours away from where Mr. Smiths family is from, my family was quite prominent in Chatham Co.  before traveling south to Alabama. Strange but true. Who knew?!  

We will be going to Oak Island soon just minutes from Southport, North Carolina, Brunswick Co. where Mr. Smith went to Elementary School.  If you've read Nicholas Spark's book "Safe Haven", you'll recognize the name Southport.  It's the setting in the book.  The movie about that book came out on DVD just a few weeks ago was filmed there.  Watching it is a blessing because we see so many familiar and heart warming sights. 

It will be our first big family visit there without Mr. Smith.  Almost all of us are going. We did travel there 2 years ago when Mr. Smith's older sister, Aunt Cleo, passed away. Our visit there will be sad in ways.  He only has one living sibling left and she is in poor health.  Her name is Juliet.  Please pray for her.  

North Carolina is not just a vacation, it's going home for many reasons.  I can't wait to get there.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment