Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lace is back!!!

1985.  My degree is in fashion merchandising and marketing.  Because of that degree, I studied costume history.  It was there I feel in love with lace and beading and 1920s style.  No surprise that my first choice of jobs were in the bridal field.  Perhaps it was looking at pictures of my Grandmother Mrytle that I feel in love with that style.  No matter, I love that style.  

In my fashion history classes I, II and III, we had to learn to draw those fashions.  I adored it!  Every single, teeny, tiny, amazing detail. 

Skip forward past 25 years of ugly clothes.  I know others will disagree, but we haven't had any really pretty clothes in a long, long time.  Jeans that don't fit, neon colors, sequins on a tshirt?, shoes that are clunky or ridiculous high heels, dresses that....well they are just ugly.  Gaudy jewels.  Shirts that are too tight and show your belly (gag).  I have detested the past couple of decades in fashion. 

BUT then came Downton Abbey!  4 seasons of period drama and BAM!  Swoon.  Sigh.  Celebrate.  Lovely fashions have returned!!!!  Lace, beading, longer hemlines, amazing colors, soft fabrics.....AND THE ANGELS SANG!!! 

Perhaps it's showing my age, but I absolutely despise seeing  young ladies dressing like they belong in a pole dance club walking into the church building or strutting about the grocery store.  There is so much to be said for modesty and allowing for a bit of mystery in one's attractions. 

I am among the few that also adore hosiery!  Lace, white, beige.....ADORE!  I know that's crazy, but the look is absolutely stunning in my humble, retro opinion. 

I walked in to my local favorite place to shop and just nearly clicked my heels together and sang in delight when I saw row after row of lovely dresses and tops in this retro style and LACE!  TaDA!!!  I giggled out loud! 

So crazy or not, I am in love with the so called "new" Downton style because in truth it is my own style.  The style that has lain dormant in my heart for 25 years while I trudged through decade after decade of grundge and yuk. 

Fashion is back baby and I'm soooooooooo excited! 

No comments:

Post a Comment