Friday, May 1, 2020

Background noise

Philippians 4:8 (ESV) 
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

   Yesterday I took respite from the rattling noise of social media, news apps, and 24-7 cable news.  It was a refreshing tonic for my weary mind.  Oddly the tiredness I feel seems unfounded since during this quarantine I labor all day, yet at the end of the day seem to have actually accomplished little.  I am exhausted yet don’t sleep well most nights.  I am severly conflicted. 
With a list of a few errands in my hand, I hoped in my car yesterday. Being able to ride alone with only the sound of the wind from my lowered car window was bliss.  As I took the back roads and saw all the fields and trees coming alive with the rebirth of spring, I could envision the breeze releasing the mental cobwebs that have exhausted me.
After weeks of this virus crisis, I find myself conflicted between my mind’s desire to hear the latest news and my soul’s thirst for peace.  I have a recollection of this same issue torturing me right after the 1995 terror attack in Oklahoma and again after the September 11, 2001 attacks.   
After prayer concerning my mental exhaustion, I have come to the conclusion the news full the medical authorities and commentators arguing back and forth over who is to blame for this crisis, I’ve allowed the media to be my background noise while I struggle to trudge through each day.  I can be better than that.  

So today I have again kept the noise down. I clicked off the television, music, and radio.  Right now I can only hear the next door chickens clucking, the dog of the neighbor across the street barking, and the soft lull of the dishwasher running.   In the quietness I am energized as I remember the names of people I want to lift up to God in prayer.  In the stillness I can ponder scriptures and focus on the good and lovely things of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment