Monday, February 17, 2020

Soupers

Soupers:  families who eat a variety of soups and often.

Yeah, I know.... I made that all up, but still.  My family is a bunch of soupers.  

My Momma makes the world's best chicken stew.  Truly.  I'm not exaggerating.  Ask anyone who has eaten her chicken stew and they will agree, especially my children.  My Grandmother Nettie used to make a beef stew that we have affectionately named, "Nettie Stew." Its that good.  So yes, I come from a family of soupers.  

The legend around this soup is even people who do not like turnip greens, will like Turnip Green Soup.  I can testify to that fact because it is only in the past few years that I've developed a taste for true southern cooked turnip greens, BUT I've enjoyed Turnip Green Soup for a long time.  

My husband and I are following a Mediterranean way of eating.  I decided that I should make this lovely, interesting soup Mediterranean friendly.  Although the original version is not expensive, my recipe uses dry beans which make it even more inexpensive.

So what makes this Mediterranean worthy?
Lean Protein
Tomatoes
Dry Beans
Greens
Whole Grains

I hope you'll give this soup a chance, especially if your family falls into the souper category. 

Kelley's Mediterranean Turnip Green Soup 

Splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 links of chicken andouille sausage, casings removed
1 sweet onion
1 chopped garlic clove
8 cups of chicken broth
1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of dried Northern Beans
1/2 cup of dried Red Beans
1/2 cup of dried Red Kidney Beans
1/2 cup of dried Navy Beans
Salt and Pepper to taste
Handful of brown rice
Handful of barley
Red Pepper Flakes
2 cups of frozen turnip greens

Put the olive oil in a stock pot.  Brown the sausage, the onion and garlic with salt and pepper.  When the sausage is browned and the onion translucent, add the stock and bring to a boil.  Add in all the dry beans.  Bring to a boil once again, then turn heat to low.  Cover and allow to soup to simmer until the beans are cooked through.  Add water as needed to keep the mixture from burning.  

After the beans are cooked to tender, add the brown rice and barley.  When the rice and barley are cooked to tender, add the turnip greens and stir.  Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle in the red pepper flakes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment