Saturday, March 21, 2020

Happy Quarantine Birthday To Me!

If you had told me last year on my 53rd birthday that I would be spending my 54th birthday in my pajamas all day, I would have believed you.  If you told me that I'd be spending the day with John, I would have believed you as well.  If you told me that I'd be typing away on my birthday, I'd have believed that too.  BUT had you told me that the entire county would be under siege of a novel Coronavirus, and I'd be self-quarantined with restaurants and pubs closed to all but curb-side pickup, schools closed for the year with no graduation ceremonies, and that the country would be running out of surgical masks and toilet paper, I would have called you mad.

But alas, that is where we are. We are just over a week into this unbelievable event and I fear it is only the beginning of a long, long spring.  I'm concerned, not really worried because I know that none of this surprised our Father in heaven. I'm however concerned with the impact this will have in the health of so many.  Visitors are banned from all hospitals and nursing homes and I know that is hard for the patients and their loved ones.  All elective surgeries and dental procedures have been canceled, so I know there are people in pain waiting on their turn to get what they need. People have gone to the groceries locally and not found what they need.  Folks have been unexpectedly laid off from work because it is no longer safe to work together. Our nation and world's economy may be in for a bumpy ride.

With limited options I picked a very local, very yummy, incredibly unhealthy take-away birthday lunch.  Dub's Burgers is a local burger joint that specializes in greasy burgers with all the fixin's.   I craved these burgers in 1994-1995 while I was pregnant with our second child.  Strangely enough, he is now a big fan of Dub's.

This quarantine birthday is so bizarre.  But I'm so thankful for all the lovely messages, emails, texts, and calls.  We can stay connected even as we socially distant ourselves for virus purposes.

Now back to healthy eating.






No comments:

Post a Comment