Monday, March 23, 2020

Pandemic Chili and Grits

One of the things I do to love people is also one of the things I do to work through stress.  I cook.  This is good news for my family.  This morning I woke up, prayed through the morning hours and flipped on the news.  I felt something creeping in on me I've not felt so far during this social distancing. Fear.

This event is virgin territory for all of us.  Its similar to our  9/11 experiences with everyone in the country focused on a common enemy; limited travel; runs on supplies; constant monitoring of the news.  But this time the enemy doesn't have a first and last name, a religious affiliation, and it certainly is not only happening in the United States of American.  This is a global pandemic with the enemy's only name being virus.

I am by nature an introvert with some extrovert tendencies.  I like to be home. I don't mind being by myself, as an only child its my most comfortable space. But there is something different about being told to stay at home and even if I'm not here alone, John is with me, I'm separated from my other family and my friends.  Thankfully we have mobile phones and social media that can keep us in communication with one another. But for those of us who are huggers, the lack of physical connection is painful.  My youngest son came to check on us this morning and it was painful to see him without being able to hug him.

According to the news there are many more days ahead of us in this bizarre pandemic journey than are behind us.  We are going to have to figure ways to make it through to the other side of the virus without losing our minds, getting depressed, or worse even, losing our faith.  

So here is my plan... at least for the near future.
1.  I'm going to continue, increase, and hopefully deepen my prayer journey.  Faith in God Almighty is the cornerstone of my life. I won't let this virus challenge my faith by letting fear take hold.
2.  I'm going to keep communication open with all of my family and friends in whatever way is useful and healthy.
3.  I'm going to work and use these hours, days, and maybe even weeks to let the words flow.
4.  I'm going to finish some projects around the house.
5.  I'm going to get outside when I can and take walks or just sit on the patio and feel the sun whenever I can.
6. I'm going to keep cooking to release stress and to love John with some yummy dishes.

Today I cooked some
vegetarian chili with garlic cheese grits

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 chopped onion and bell pepper
5 minced garlic cloves
5 tablespoons chili powder
1 16 oz. bag of red lentils
28 oz. of canned diced tomatoes
32 oz. of vegetable stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sour cream
Fresh cilantro

In a stock pot heat oil and saute veggies until translucent and slightly browned.  Add garlic and chili powder.  Add lentils, tomatoes and stock.  Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes.

While the chili is simmering cook the grits.
Bring 3 cups of water, 1/4 stick of butter, a tablespoon of garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil.  Add 1 cup of yellow grits and bring to a boil again.  Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in a couple handfuls of grated cheese.

Take a subversive blender and put into the stock pot of chili. Give it a few pulses to cream a small amount of the chili mixture.  Stir the chili to blend.

To serve fill a bowl with chili, top with a healthy serving of grits and a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment