Monday, April 20, 2020

Kind. Love. Helpful.

This is a challenging time at best.  It is deadly at worst.  None of us know what will come next because our generations have never walked this path before.

I saw a report that said half of the American people want us to go back to normal and get back to work right now, while the other half want us to stay in shutdown for as long as it takes.  Some people say you should wear a mask. Some others say masks are not useful. Doctors preach their stay at home message and economist say we are killing the economy the shuts-down. And then there are the opposing political views.  No matter what one side says, the other side disagrees.

As this virus continues to cast its dark shadow across the homes, streets, communities, states, countries, and this planet I become more and more aware the broad scope of this crisis.  How we respond is not only a reflection of the heart of America, it is reflection on mankind. There are protests going on in various states with people screaming at one another, demanding the reopening of business and a cessation of what they see as government over-reach.  Sadly the only thing they know to do is shout. I have lived a life of shouting.  I thought it was my only option when I felt I wasn't being heard. As a result I made those around me miserable, made myself miserable.  This made my loved ones less likely to listen to me, negating my opinion.  God doesn't want me or you to act in this manner.

When this is all over, my reflection to the world will tell exactly who I am, deep in my heart.  So as we look to the future we need to consider how we have behaved during the crisis.  Will I be able to say I was kind, showed love, and was helpful?  Or will people say I was mean, full of hate, and unhelpful.  Most importantly will the people within my sphere of influence be able to say I was kind, showed love, and was helpful.  God says this is very important.

Ephesians 4:32 (ESV) Be kind to one another, tendered hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Mark 12:30-31 (ESV) And you shall love the Lord. your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.  The second is this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.  There is no other commandment greater than theses.

Galatians 6:10 (ESV) ...as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone...


No comments:

Post a Comment