Friday, April 3, 2020

Take Care of Your People

I remember back during the tornado recovery of 2011, I was amazed at how many people contacted the United Way and other agencies for help with cutting up trees, cleaning up branches, picking up food, etc.  One night my Daddy and I were talking and he said, "Whatever happened to taking care of your own?"

While this pandemic crisis is different, in some ways it is the same.  We are restricted and unable to do the things we normally do.  We are all concerned and even scared. So in this crisis I ask, "Whatever happened to taking care of your own?"

One more thing I need to share is this nugget.  If you want something done, ask busy person.  The best volunteers are already busy.  If you want to feel better about yourself, reach out.  Take care of someone else.

What can we all do within the distancing limits to take care of our own? Here are a few of my thoughts.

1.  Call your people.  We all need to talk to one another not only to beat back the depression that this type of situation can bring, but also to find out how your people are doing.  And for you millennials, send a text at the very least.  Call your people.

2. If you have the resources, take some food to your people.  Today I cooked up a bunch of good ol' southern food and make enough plates for John and I, my parents, his mom, and my aunt.  John has been out delivering to their doorsteps.  Not its not like gathering around the table and sharing a meal, but it does help with our health and with our feelings. Take food to your people.

3.  Laugh with your people.  My girl cousins are the life blood of my funny bone.  No one makes me laugh as much as they do.  There are five of us and we are constantly group texting to keep up with one another.  We send stupid pictures, corny jokes, you name it.  But it makes us laugh.  Laugh with your people.

4.  Read together.  Grandparents read a book to your grandkids via Face Time.  Grandkids read to your grandparents via Face Time. One of the most lovely experiences I've been having is listening to Jennifer Ehle read Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" via Instagram. Jennifer played Elizabeth Bennett during the 1995 BBC series of the same work.  Read with your people.

You might also consider an online book club, via Face Time, Zoom, or whatever works best for you.
Read with your people.

5. Use this time to go back through old pictures and share them with your family and friends online. This can help us laugh and check on one another.

6. Vote one healthy person in your group to do the grocery shopping.  Keeping as many as possible at home, we can all be healthier.  Even pick one person to do the grocery pick-ups for extended families. and friends.  Then deliver the same way John delivered meals today.  Drop at the door and give them a knock.

Each day the Lord has been teaching me new things and reminding me of other things I've long known.  Today I felt a strong push to reach out in whatever way I can.

Churches and families need to step up.  You don't necessarily need to worry about everyone, just take care of your own people. If everyone would do that, most everyone would be cared for.  Don't wait on someone else to step up.  YOU do it.  Be safe everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment