Sunday, April 12, 2020

Pandemic Easter

Today has been the strangest day I have experienced in a very long time, especially considering our world is living through a world-wide pandemic and strange days are coming every day.  

It’s Easter Sunday.  I’m sitting in my chair in the living room dressed in a sweatshirt with leggings and fluffy socks.  I had church this morning laying in my bed, watching sermons online, and listening to Dolly Parton sing, “He’s Alive.”  It’s far cry from a new Easter frock and a packed church sanctuary. I made Easter baskets for my adult children, just like every year, but they are all social distancing in their own homes, away from us as they should.  But this makes me so sad. This is the longest period of time I have ever been without a hug from my boys.  I am starving for them.  

There will be no family gathering at the home of my 92 year old mother-in-law.  So for Easter lunch I had popcorn and a cup of tea instead of ham and glorious side dishes made our extended family.  There are no grandchildren and great-grandchildren running about on Hazel’s front lawn hiding and seeking Easter eggs; no golden egg with $5 bill in it; no lining the family up for the annual photos; no hugs and kisses from beloved family members.  Social distancing is breaking my heart.  And to top off this unusual day, we have tornadoes predicted to hit our area this afternoon and tonight. I admit that my nerves are on edge. 

Today after watching online sermons and spending time in prayer the thought came to me. Well not really a thought, more of a remembrance of a promise from God himself.  He absolutely is not social distancing from us in this time of sadness and disruption.  In fact, during this time He promises to be extra close.  

Psalms 34:18 says, The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” 
Psalm 23:4 “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.”


I’m repeating these scriptures over and over in my head as I move through this day and acknowledge my heartbreak and loss.  If we focus on Him instead of our anxious spirits, we can travel though this chaotic, distressing time with our sanity and faith intact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment