Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Flu and Homemade Elderberry Syrup

The flu came to our house last week.  He was not invited, yet there he was.  I had all our Mediterranean meals prepped and ready to deal with and then the flu stomped me in the ground.  What started as a mild sore throat ended with a big ol' fever and lots of heavy hurling (I'll spare you the details).  As a result there was not much eating or meal preparing that went on here at the Smith.

All last week I used elderberry lozenges, gummies, and chewable tabs.  Elderberry helps your immune system, stunts a cold or flu, and gives overall health a boost.  I figure its worth a try.  I also take plenty of Vitamin C during the winter.  (For the record in my head I just gave that word the UK pronunciation of Vit-amin, instead of the US pronunciation of VI-tamin.).

Elderberry products are not cheap.  In fact they are quit expensive.  I did a bit of research and discovered that I can make elderberry syrup cost effectively.  With dried berries, honey, water, and ginger I can make a whole bunch of syrup.  Here is the link for the recipe I used.   And ordered my elderberries from here.

Be aware that a pound of berries equals about 5-6 cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment