Monday, November 26, 2012

Advent....



I was raised in a deep south CoC (Church of Christ) environment.  I was taught to go to church, love God and Jesus, study my bible and sing from the depth of my soul (without instruments).  For these things I will always be eternally grateful, although I disagree with that whole "without instruments" part.  I prefer singing without instruments, but certainly don't think you are wrong to praise God with a musical instrument. (Sorry for that little rabbit trail moment) The seed of Jesus was planted in my heart from a very young age.  Thank you Momma and Daddy. 

Along with all the wonderful things I was taught came some things that didn't make sense to me.  I was always told that we didn't celebrate the birth of Christ in December (not by my parents) because we didn't really know when Christ was born. (Insert confused child here) I was told this by the same people (again, not my parents) who proudly displayed ghosts, devils, zombies and witches in their yard for most, if not all of the month of October.   Somehow it was ok to celebrate the most grisly details of death, witchcraft and paganism, but we should NOT celebrate the birth of a Savior in December. 

Weird.O.  

I know they believed and still believe deeply in what they were saying, but with all due respect, it made no sense to me logically or spiritually then or now.  They said things like "We should celebrate the death, burial and resurrection everyday" except apparently during December and close to Easter.  As a teen, I specifically remember a man praying before we were dismissed to class one Wednesday night in December.  During his prayer he praised God for the birth of Jesus and the fact that the whole world stopped and acknowledged his birth during this special time of year.  I also remember that church leadership scolded him after that.  Seriously, I'm not making this up.  The best I can figure is that since these are considered man-made dates, you can't celebrate Jesus during that time.  Or that you just can't say that Jesus was born on this day.  Ok, so Jesus wasn't born on December 25th.  I get that.  It could have been July 16th?  Ok. Big whoop. It's just a day.  But EVERY DAY is a day to celebrate Jesus.  

EVEN December 25th. 

The thing that confused me the most was that they still celebrated the holidays, but just didn't want to mention Jesus.  Bunnies, eggs, Santa, flying reindeer, etc., all the "pagan" parts of the celebrations were intact, but they just left out Jesus. How bizarre is that?  Now I admit that this is just one girl's opinion, but I've rattled all this around in my head and heart for 46 years now and it still makes no sense to me.  I simply don't want to leave out Jesus on any day, even December 25th. 

My mother led me by example and taught a class. I grew up to be a bible teacher as well (thanks mom). One year when I was small, I remember my mother suggested that they use Barbies to build a nativity scene in class. If you know me well you know I thought that was a grand idea.  I'm all about a Barbie doll.  In fact I used 2 Ken dolls and a bottle of red nail polish to illustrate leprosy while teaching a 4 and 5 year old class.  I dotted one up with red polish and left the other alone.  Ken had leprosy (the one with the red dots) and then slipped him down under the blue wash cloth (aka water) and BAMM he was healed (the one without dots).  It made an impact on the kids.  Their eyes got big and there were lots of oooo's and ahhhhh's.  But I digress.  Back to the Nativity scene....My mother's idea was quickly squashed because "We don't celebrate Christmas as Christ's birth."  I remember her being irritated.  Seems I got more than my baby blues from my Momma.  

The whole Celtic Christianity mentality is about wrapping our spiritual nature around every day activities and thoughts.  I talked about that in a previous post.  My prayer journey has led me to a point in life where I want to surround myself with Jesus.  I want to be in a state of "praying without ceasing" and cover all my activities in prayer.  I do not always accomplish this.  I slip up, mess up and fail Him.  But I'm doing better. I'm growing and that is what He looks at.  

All that was to say, I am still a member of the CoC but I'm all about weaving Jesus into any month of the year and any day of the week, even a random Tuesday.  I'm thankful that the world acknowledges His birth in December, but saddened that they don't acknowledge His divine power. 

Sometimes I fully understand the wise Pooh Bear who once said, "It's a long story and even longer when I tell it."  Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope it helped explain the journey to where I am.

So about Advent...yep....I like it. I do it. I embrace it. 

Why?  Because it makes me focus on two things: Jesus and waiting.  These are two topics I need to focus on.  I'm not good at waiting, although God has beat me over the head so  much about this topic lately that I'm making baby step sized progress.  And I need to ALWAYS focus on Jesus, anytime.  

Advent is considered a period of  preparation and waiting before Christmas.  It reminds me to slow down, consider Jesus and contemplate what His coming actually means to me.  The word advent actually comes from the Latin word "adventus" which means arrival or coming, particularly of something of importance.  

In western Christianity, Advent begins on the 4th Sunday prior to Christmas.  In eastern Christianity it begins earlier in November...whatever...a date is a date.  It's the purpose that means something not the date.  You could actually do these things on 4 random Sundays between say July and August if you wanted.  (I know...mind.blown) 

For many Christians (including me) the season of Advent is about thanking God for the gift of His Son, the gift of His Holy Spirit that lives in us and the anticipation of His second coming. Yippee Yahoo.  I mean seriously, for the love, can anything be better!?  As far as I'm concerned the skies can crack open today with the trumpet sounding.  I'm ready for the eternal party!  (Insert 30 second praise dance) Remember I STILL love to play with Barbies-I'm a 5 year old trapped in a 46 year old body.

Each church and each person who embraces Advent celebrates in a different way it seems.  So I'll skip telling you all the things other folks do it and tell you what this girl's plans are for this year.  

We've done different things in the past as a family. We've made wreaths that told the story of Jesus, we've had candles, we've played with nativity scenes, we've drawn pictures...whatever it took to make my boys understand that "Jesus is special and He deserves our praise no matter what the day or month". 

This year I bought a lovely, but simple votive candelabra with 5 candle cups on it.  "Typically" when using candles to celebrate Advent, there are 5 candles involved:  3 purple, 1 pink and 1 white.  

According to tradition, Advent begins this year on Sunday, December 2. During your meditation time, think on the prophecy of the coming of Jesus.  Meditate on scriptures such as Isaiah 7:14, 9:2-7, chapter 53, 61:1-4.  Light one of the purple candles and think on these things.  Spend time in quiet prayer asking God to reveal more you to about these scriptures. The candle isn't magical, but it does help you focus.  And focus in the point here isn't it?  Focus on the beautiful message of Jesus, not just for information but for transformation.  

The second Sunday of Advent this year is Sunday, December 9th.  Light one of the purple candles along with the one you lit last week.  This second purple candle represents love or in some traditions this second purple candle represents the manager.  So as you light this second candle, focus on scriptures that lead your mind to dwell deeply on God's love and the precious, simple manager that our King rested in.  

The 3rd Sunday of Advent this year is Sunday, December 16th.  Light the first two purple candles you have already lit and then light the pink candle.  This candle represents joy and the shepherds who were the first to hear of His arrival.  Dwell on scriptures that remind you of the joy you find in Jesus and remember the story of the shepherds.  

The 4th Sunday of Advent of this year is Sunday, December 23rd.  Light the first two purple candles you have lit in previous weeks and also the pink candle.   Now light the last purple candle.  This one represents peace and the angels who announced Jesus birth.  Dwell in scriptures that focus on peace and remind yourself of the story that retells the beauty of the angels announcing His birth.  

On Christmas Eve, light all the candles plus the white candle.  This candle represents the purity of the Christ child who came to save us from our sins.  Meditate on the whole "Christmas" story.  Praise God for giving us this sacrificial gift.  Dwell deeply in scriptures that will help you focus on HIS gift.  Celebrate Jesus!   

Do I think people who don't embrace the Advent remembrances are wrong?  No, not at all.  Could you be missing out on something amazing?  Yes.  I am at a point in my life when I will do all I can to help me focus on God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.   

I'll even embrace Advent.   





 


No comments:

Post a Comment