Monday, November 19, 2012

"The Lord's Prayer"

As I have been studying the Benedictine prayer life, I'm finding that I pray "The Lord's Prayer" multiple times a day.  I am awed by the fact that these brief words are not just an exercise in prayer, but actually came out of the Savior's mouth as He taught his followers how to pray.  When I pray "The Lord's Prayer" I'm speaking the words of my Savior.  That just awes me. 

Now I have a confession to make.  When I pray "The Lord's Prayer" I don't say the words.  I sing them. I know that's a little weird.   But music is the method to which I remember things the best.  I still sing the books of the bible song when I'm looking for a book in the bible.  When I think of the wee little man Zaccheus, I sing that song too.  

Music is how my mind remembers best.  So when I pray "The Lord's Prayer" at different times throughout my day, I sing.  Sometimes I sing out loud and sometimes just silently inside my head.  Although I do not sound like Charlotte Church, the Lord hears my prayer anyway. 

Do you find yourself getting bored with your prayer life?  Does it seem flat?   Try spending the entire day repeating "The Lord's Prayer".  Sing it.  Speak it.  Listen to it.  Just do it.  And often.  But always let the words penetrate your heart, your mind and your soul. Live it

Forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment