Tuesday, November 13, 2012

So what is a church of Christ girl doing with a rosary?

Strange question.  

I was born into and raised "church of Christ. If you click on those words, the link will provide you with a very superficial explanation for what that means.  I actually believe it means different things in different areas of the U.S. and certainly across the globe. 

I was raised in the deep, deep south in the furthermost north/central spot in the state of sweet home Alabama. Here there are many churches of Christ, each with it's own personality and worship style, but all grounded firmly in scripture.  It's a heritage I've grown to love over my older adult years.  As a  younger adult, I hated telling someone I was a member of the "church of Christ" because it brought about conversations that started with statements such as "So you are a part of that church that believes they are the only ones going to heaven" or "You belong to the church of don'tsor the saddest of them all "Your church judges everyone." I had no idea how to discuss my faith when I was younger.  Now I feel more secure in what I believe and I don't so much mind people asking questions any more.

I'm sure some of those statements are true at certain churches, but it's not what I believe.  

Growing up "church of Christ" I was taught that the Catholic church has it all wrong.  While I don't agree with some of their teachings, there are some things I believe they practice that we can all learn from. 

As a seeker of a deep prayer life, I started researching and studying everything I could about prayer.  I was led in many directions, some far out and weird, some reserved and traditional.  My search led me to the prayer practices of many religions, including the Benedictine prayer practices, which are Christian, but most often linked to the Catholic church. 

One of the dearest people in the world to me is my cousin JaneShe grew up Methodist and became Catholic at the time of her marriage.  As I began my prayer journey, I talked with her about it, as I do most things.  We talk religion, politics, kids and whatever else is going on in our lives.  We  support each other.  

After our conversations on my prayer journey,  she and her dear children (my God-children) gave me a beautiful wooden rosary. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. So I did what I always do. I researched.    

Given my faith background, all that praying to Mary and dead folks seemed weird to me.  Someone once told me that using the rosary was the same as worshiping idols. Well that's just goofy. Given the number of times they say "The Lord's Prayer" and send up praises to our Holy Father in Heaven, it hardly seems pagan! Then someone else told me it was "vain repetition".  I'm completely ok with repeating the Lord's Prayer as many times as I need to so that I can firmly grasp how our Father wants us to pray.  I don't think that is a work in vain at all.  Some people just want to make something out of nothing in my opinion. 

The best I can understand is that the prayer beads or rosary are not really special or magical.  Instead, they offer a technique of focusBeing the creative type with lots of ideas, questions and random thoughts rolling around in my head, I loved the concept of using the beads for focusing my prayer time. 

One of my most common issues with prayer time has always been losing my focus, rambling and in general just talking AT God, not TO Him.  There is a major difference there. 

So with my brand new wooden prayer beads in hand, I started to focus my prayer time.  I read a lot of articles, Catholic and Protestant. They all had points that resonated with  me.  But still, I didn't feel completely comfortable with any of them.  So being the creative person that I am, I came up with my own method. 

Here is how I use my prayer beads.

#1 Start at the cross (always a good place).  While holding the cross, I run my fingers all around it.  I feel the shape of it.  I think on the magnitude of the sacrifice that was made for me.  ME, a lowly sinner who doesn't even know how to pray most of the time without rambling.  Yes, even for me He died.  I stay here "at the cross" for as long as I need to.  

#2 At the next bead of medium size, I repeat the beautiful "Lord's Prayer" 

#3 Next up are 3 little beads.  Here I repeat what is commonly known as "The Jesus Prayer".   "Jesus Christ, son of God have mercy on  me a sinner."  I say that slowly while holding each of the 3 small beads.  If you speak this slowly and truly absorb the meaning of these words, you will be brought to your knees and changed.   

#4.  At the next medium sized bead, I pray "The Lord's Prayer" again.  

#5.  We are at the largest of the beads on the strand.  Here I pray what is called the "Glory be" prayer.  "Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.  As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen."  

#6.  Next are 10 little beads, referred to as a decade.  While moving along this first decade of beads, I spend time praising God for who He is!   I stay there as long as I need to.  

#7 I repeat the Lord's Prayer again at the next medium sized bead. 

#8  At the next decade of beads, I spend time in gratitude thanking God for all He has given me.   Again, staying there as long as I need.  
 #9 I repeat the Lord's Prayer again at the next medium sized bead.  

#10 Forgiveness.  During this decade of beads, I spend time trying to call to mind people and situations where I need to ask forgiveness from people and from God.  This can be a hard place to stay, but I stay long enough to truly reflect on who needs to hear "I'm sorry" from me.  

#11 Repeat the Lord's Prayer again at the medium sized bead.

#12 Forgiveness.  During this decade of  beads, I spend time trying to call to mind people and situations where I need to extend forgiveness.  Perhaps it's from an old emotional wound.  Maybe it's something more recent.  I reflect on the fact that Jesus forgives me as I forgive others.  Maybe they haven't asked for my forgiveness yet or ever will.  Still I must forgive.  

#13 Repeat the Lord's Prayer at this medium sized bead. 

#14 Intercessions.  At this last decade of beads, I lift up all those who have requested I pray for them and also those who just pop into my mind.  

#15 I repeat the "Glory be" prayer at the large bead again.  "Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.  As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. 

#16 At the medium sized bead I pray the Lord's Prayer again.

#17 At this short trio of beads I pray the Jesus prayer 3 times.  "Jesus Christ Son of God, Have mercy on me a sinner."  

#1At this medium sized bead, I repeat the Lord's Prayer one last time. 

#19 I end where I began, holding onto the cross and meditating on the sacrifice that was made for me.  

So there you have it.  The Kelley version of praying with prayer beads/Rosary beads.  

Am I suggesting that everyone needs a set of rosary beads?  No. But if you have trouble focusing during prayer, you might just give it a try.  It's simply a tool. Once you have your own version memorized, you can do it with your eyes closed while running your fingers along the strand to help keep you going.  And perhaps one day we won't even need the beads. 

Do I think there is magic in the beads?  Absolutely not, but I do believe there is something wonderful that happens inside me when I pray with this much focus.  

                This is a picture of my rosary with all the prayer 
prompts that I use.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment