Monday, November 12, 2012

Listen and Silent

Strange but true fact.....the words "Silent" and "Listen" are made up of the exact same letters.  Coincidence? 

As I travel deeper and deeper into prayer, I find myself talking less to God and simply listening.  When I do actually talk to Him, I find myself speaking in short sentences such as "Help", "Please" and "Have mercy on  me." 

As I study "The Rule" by St. Benedict, I'm struck that the first words in this literary and spiritual masterpiece are "“Listen, O my son, to the precepts of thy master, and incline the ear of the heart.”  

With all he had to say, his first word was "Listen".  

In my own life, I've been guilty of living a life far away from listening and patience.  Instead, I've lived a life of hurried unawareness.   I've been guilty of trying to finish my prayer time with the thought that I needed to get on with the real business of the day.  Isn't that sad?  I've been a Christian since 1980 and it's taken me 32 years to realize that the real business of the day IS prayer.  


No comments:

Post a Comment