Thursday, November 15, 2012

Back to my friend story....

She's going to beat me in the head when she discovers I'm writing about our life together.  But as I've told her many times, "I'm not afraid of you."  Many people are intimidated by her.  She has a very competitive spirit and is going to get things done no matter what.  Sit by her at a ballgame and you'll see a new side of her :)  She scared our friend Amy to death when Amy saw her in "ballgame mode" for the first time. She is a teacher and that "teacher voice" comes out sometimes.  Scares some people, but not me. 

Back to my story....so Angie got married first.  I remember the 4 of us (Angie, Tricia, Manda and me) in the restroom helping Angie get ready.  Lots of giggles and tears.  I sang at the wedding.  Well, at least people tell me I did.  I have no memory of it whatsoever.  I was so overwhelmed with emotion, I walked through it like a Zombie. Truly have no idea what I sang.  I don't remember the reception.  I just remember them leaving the church.  Isn't that crazy?  I worried about her as she left the church.  We were entering into new territory as adults.  That's some scary stuff. 

We were all still in college.  It was a chaotic time in our lives.  We had lots of "get togethers" at Angie and Ronnie's first house since they were the first official folks with a house.  I think we started the annual "Ronnie and Angie" Christmas party that first  year.  Angie loves Christmas, as do I, and we both share a love for Christmas ornaments.  We both started out with one tree,long,long ago and years later we both enjoy multiple trees to display our very large Christmas ornament collections.  On  more than one Christmas we have given each other the exact same Christmas ornament as a gift.  Some kind of weird mind meld we have going on here. 

The second of our group to marry was MWAH!  Yes after dating John for 3 years, we tied the knot.  Angie was a bridesmaid in my wedding. One of the most vivid memories I have of my wedding day  is my mother trying to help me put on my veil.  She was nervous and so was I.  As she was pinning the veil on my head, she jabbed a bobby pin into my scalp.  I started bleeding and was scared to death I'd get blood on my gown!  Angie walked over and said "Here Wanda, let me help."  She dabbed my scalp and then carefully pinned my veil on.  If you know Angie, you know that is a perfect story to describe how she maneuvers.  Slips in, takes charge, gets it done.

The first guests we had over at our house was (SHOCK!) Angie, Ronnie, Manda and Tricia.  Amazing huh?  We had dinner and played spoons on our glass top kitchen table.  Brains apparently didn't come with age in our cases.  I have pictures of that night somewhere in a box.  I'll have to get the out. 

We've always enjoyed shopping together because we have the same shopping style. Go in, get it, get out.  We both prefer to shop alone, but if we are going to shop, we do pretty well together.  We don't have to stay together in a store.  We go do our thing and get out.  Works perfectly.

I guess that's one of the things that has made this relationship  last for so long.  We've always given each other the space we need to be ourselves. I've never been jealous of her other relationships, nor she mine.  We have friends we share and we each have our own separate friends. We both give each other room to be.  I've seen so many friendships over the years where they almost smother each other.  That's not us.  I'm so thankful. 

Up next....Angie and Kelley have babies....at the same time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment