Friday, December 11, 2015

Advent, December 11, The Same Direction

Consider Jeremiah 17:5-8
Thus says the Lord,
“Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind
And makes flesh his strength,
And whose heart turns away from the Lord. 

 “For he will be like a bush in the desert
And will not see when prosperity comes,
But will live in stony wastes in the wilderness,
A land of salt without inhabitant. 

 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord
And whose trust is the Lord.

“For he will be like a tree planted by the water,
That extends its roots by a stream
And will not fear when the heat comes;
But its leaves will be green,
And it will not be anxious in a year of drought
Nor cease to yield fruit. 


As we wait in this season of Advent, its important to notice who or what we wait on.  Jeremiah tells us what happens when we wait on the wrong thing or person.   And praise God, he also shares with us what happens when we wait on the proper person.  The Lord.  

Last night while thumbing through Facebook I noticed that someone I love just got a divorce.  I sat with that for a few minutes and then thought back over the year.  This has been the year of divorce apparently.  I counted 9 couples that I know who have gone through divorce in 2015.  My heart has broken for each one of these families.   

John and I have been through some knee deep piles of poo in our married life.  We've hated each other.  Not just the "I don't like you" kind of hate, but the, "If a car hits you I don't think I'd care" kind of hate. We have been terrible to each other.  We have acted in ways that have brought shame to ourselves, our boys, our parents, our extended family, and even our friends.  Most of all we brought shame to our God. Our hearts were "turned away from the Lord."  We lived in a  "stony waste in the wilderness."  

It took desperate measures to wake us up.  Those desperate measures were linked to holding on tight to the Lord.  That sounds corny I know, but its truth.  When we, as a couple, turned and faced Jesus together, things changed.  Life changed.  The barren, dry landscape where I waited each day for the next shoe to drop turned into a land full of life.  I won't lie.  It took a while.  A long, long while.  But together we chose to wait on the Lord together.  


During this season of Advent look to your spouse,  family, and friends and make a decision to wait upon the Lord together.  Its so much easier when we are all faced the same direction.  


Jesus, come quickly.  

Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment