Monday, December 14, 2015

Advent, December 14, Little Altar Boy

I am a life long fan of the Carpenters.  As a wee girl, I used my little red and white box record player to listen to Karen sing and learn the art of their lovely harmonies.  I've told many that Karen was my first vocal coach.

One of my favorite of their albums is "Christmas Portrait." Its full of classical music, contemporary and traditional carols sung by Karen and Richard.  Their tight harmonies and artful arrangements make for, in my opinion, perfect music.

One of the songs on this album is beautifully haunting.  "Little Altar Boy" is a plea to a child to pray for a sinner gone astray.  Our Lord asked us to be like little children.  If you have ever listened to a child's innocent prayers, you know they are unique, sacred, and precious.

Here are the lyrics of the song:
Little alter boy, I wonder could you pray for me?
Little alter boy, for I have gone astray
What must I do to be holy like you?
Little alter boy ,oh, let me hear you pray
Little alter boy, I wonder could you ask your Lord
Ask him, alter boy, to take my sins away
What must I do to be holy like you?
Little alter boy, oh, let me hear you pray
Lift up your voice and send a pray above
Help me rejoice and fill that prayer with love
Now I know my life has been all wrong
Lift my your voice and help a sinner be strong
Little alter boy, I wonder could you pray for me?
Could you tell our Lord I'm gonna change my ways today?
What must I do to be holy like you?
Little alter boy, oh, let me hear you pray
Little alter boy please let me hear you pray!
During this Advent season I encourage you to pray with your children, whatever their age.  We know without doubt that our Lord hears their tender voices, calling out to Jesus.  Their sweet words just might teach you a thing or two.  
Jesus, come quickly, 
Kelley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment