Monday, December 7, 2015

Advent, December 7, Your Calling

Again, I must beg apologies for not posting yesterday.  My body has not been cooperating with me in the past few days.  I have been having a lot of pain issues and couldn't climb the stairs to the office yesterday afternoon.  If you have room on your prayer list, please pray for me and all those with Dysautonomia. 

On to Advent! 

December 7, 1941 will forever be known as Pearl Harbor Day.  "A day that will live in infamy." 

Several years ago, I was blessed to go to Hawaii with my husband.  He was working at Pearl Harbor and I was there for the glorious beauty of the island of Oahu. One morning we both headed to "Pearl" as they call it.  He went for work; I went for remembrance.  I wasn't prepared for the waves of emotions that flooded my soul. 

My little tour group loaded up in a boat and headed to the USS Arizona Memorial.  When we disembarked to the memorial, there were several elderly gentlemen waiting in the line with us.  As we approached the wall of names of those who died that day, I looked to my left and noticed an elderly gentlemen silently weeping.  He had taken off his military cap and held it over his heart.  A younger woman was standing next to him, her nose was shaped like his, so I assumed it was his daughter or granddaughter.  She was holding his hand and patting his arm.  He looked to have been the age to have served during that time.

I almost choked on the enormous lump that settled deep in my throat.  His anguish draped around him as the tears quietly flowed.  Looking out over the water, I noticed that oil still seeps out from the old ship, the under water tomb of so many young men.  God bless those young men.  Most never saw the attack coming.  Some lived for a long time waiting for a rescue that never came. 

Being called to serve is easy for some, but for others requires more of a commitment.  To serve in the military, one must be willing to give their life for their country.  During this season of my life, I feel called to write.  That calling doesn't bring any danger or risk.  My calling is easy. 

Let's consider Matthew 1:19-21 (NASB)

And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly. But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

The calling of Mary and Joseph is more than my mind can take in.  These two young people had to put every ounce of faith into the dreams they experienced, their love for one another, their confidence in each other, and most importantly their faith and confidence in the God they served.  This calling required their reputation to be questioned and even their sanity.  Can you just imagine?  Sure.  You are a virgin.  AND you are pregnant.  BUT the God of the universe is the Father.  Right.....

The soldiers of Pearl Harbor honored their calling to serve their country.  Mary and Joseph honored their calling to serve their God.  It's your turn now.  

What are you called to do?  Are you actively working in that calling?  What can you do to answer the call?  

Jesus, come quickly.

Kelley 

No comments:

Post a Comment