Friday, March 15, 2013

Kindles and Books

I have a kindle and I love it.  CHERISH it.  Best present ever!  Thanks Momma and Daddy!  I take it most everywhere with me.  In fact, my anam cara friend Terri inspired me to purchase a purse with a compartment especially for the kindle.  Thanks Terri.  Now I don't annoy people with random questions like "Are you Irish?" and "Do you wish you were Irish?"  Instead I quietly read and keep all my Irish questions to myself. 

But even in the "I need the book NOW" generation of kindles, I still, without a doubt, ADORE a book.  A real book with pages and the smell of ink.  I love the crackle a hard back book makes when you first open it.  I love to highlight in a book so that I remember those amazing parts and annoy all the people who borrow my books.  

So today my knight in shining armor (a shiny FEDEX truck) delivered a package to my door.  Giggle, giggle, snort! Oh I love that box with a smile on the side.  Amazon I do love thee.

So after the best holiday of the year is over, after I've cleaned up all the decorations, finally done the taxes and started back to work again (BTW, I will be employed again at the United Way beginning on Tuesday of next week) I have two lovely books about Mary, the mother of Jesus to begin for a personal study of my own.

I also have a book and CD about singing the Psalms.  One of the parts of going to the monastery that I adore the most is singing the Psalms at prayer time.  I am absolutely no good at it and so I mostly  just listen to the sweet voices of my nun friends.  The book is all about using this method to pray.  Yummmm.  I'm addicted to prayer and all the ways God seeks for us to communicate with Him.  

Angie hated books.  In fact, she'd buy books, ask me to read them and tell her about them.  I never could even get her to LISTEN to a book on tape.  Good grief.  AND WE WERE BEST FRIENDS. Can you believe that?  A book addict and a person repulsed by books....WHO WAS A SCHOOL TEACHER....best friends.  Yes indeedie miracles do still happen.  Oil and water did mix!  

What I'd give to tell her all about these books.  She liked going to the monastery with me. 

I miss my friend.      

  


No comments:

Post a Comment