Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Snakes, Glasses and Jumps

Failte! That weird word is Irish for welcome.  It's pronounced fawl-cha. 

You find giggles where you can during a grief journey.  Things that should make you laugh don't, but then something like this weird cartoon comes along and makes you absolutely crack up.  Strange.  

They (whoever "they" are) say that St. Patrick drove all the snakes from Ireland.  Someone made this cartoon and it made me laugh really hard this morning.  I know it's crazy, but still....AND let's be honest, a man who can drive snakes out of a whole country is one to be honored I would say.  I hate snakes.

In other news Yesterday I picked out a new pair of glasses.  I'm a pro at it by now.  I've been wearing glasses since I was 10.  So that makes....borrow from the 4....let me get my calculator....oh yes, I've been wearing glasses for almost 37 years.  My far away vision is about the same as it's been for several years now, but my old lady reading vision is getting worse. I have frameless glasses now.  In the past, I've had wire frames in pink, silver and gold.  I've had plastic frames in various shapes of black, red, brown and tortoiseshell.  

So I tried on more plastic frames this time.  I like the frameless look, but they are so fragile and I'm tough on glasses.  I test drove some red, black and some red/black ones.  I even tried a clear plastic pair.  Then I went out on a fashion edge and tried on blue and green ones.  I KNOW, I'm a fashion-esta right?   After consulting with everyone in the doctor's office who would give me an opinion, including my 17 year old son, we all decided on the green.  So in a week and a half, I will be the proud owner of a pair of 2013 green progressive spectacles.

Warning!  Thought jump ahead: I find in this journey through grief, my mind jumps around a lot.  Sometimes without warning.  So be glad I gave YOU a warning that it was coming. I normally don't get the warning.  

I just saw a quote that hit me right square in the eyes.  "Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory."   Wow, AMEN!  When Angie and I would spend hours in the grocery store, I thought we were just shopping, but now....well now those hours are precious memories.  So when you see me in the grocery store crying, never mind me.  Just drive your cart right around me and go on. I might be there for a while, reliving a lovely memory.  The memories are gifts, but right now they hurt so bad. 

Whoaaa, another jump:

I will be going back to work in a couple of weeks.  More details on that coming soon.  I'm looking forward to it and feel so blessed that God has been watching me so closely through all this chaos. The job is lovely, creative and part-time, so I'll have plenty of time to also do photography ministry and writing as well.  I may even have a go at writing for the paper again.  You folks are so kind.  Many of you have asked me over and over to write recipe stories for the paper again.  Because of your encouragement, I just might :)Thanks for that. 

With me going back to work, I'll be quite busy in the next two weeks trying to get the house cleaning caught up.  While Angie was sick, things here got passed over a lot. I have an office where I can't see the floor because of stacks and stacks of paperwork, pictures and books.  I need to DEEP clean too.  Dust Bunnies, beware I'm coming to get you.  

Hang on...here we go again:  

St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner, I hope you are getting all your St. Paddy's Day shopping, decorating and cooking done.  We started planning the St. Patrick's Day menu this past weekend.  And as of last night, we have our holiday schedule down:
Friday March 15:  Deliver St. Patrick's Day gifts to the boys.  
Saturday March 16: Parade and Annual St. Patrick's Day Celebration with a few close friends.  
Sunday March 17: Go to church services and then take the family to have "A Full Fry" (Irish breakfast) at my friend Siobhan's house. My Irish friend's name is pronouced Sha-von.  I know! Those goofy Irish can't spell well.  Once our big o'brunch has settled in our tummies, John and I will head to Nashville to hear Keith and Kristyn Getty's St. Patrick's Day concert with Rend Collective Experiment (they are a contemporary Christan Band).  Both the Getty's and RCE are from Northern Ireland (same as my Irish peeps!).  

To gear up for the most wonderful day of the year (St. Patrick's Day) we are going to take the boys and their girls to our new favorite place to eat this weekend.  Yep, headed to McNamara's yet again :)  I'm listening to Nosey Flynn's CD right now, trying to learn the words to a few sing along songs that the band plays on Friday and Saturday night's at McNamara's.   

So that's it. I'm off to attack the laundry.  

Slainte!  (That's Irish for "To Your Health". It's pronounced slawn-cha)

I miss my friend....   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment